Sunday, March 29, 2009

Testimonies

I know that I shouldn't be blogging on Sunday, but had to get this down.

Since I have been LDS, I have never gotten up and shared my testimony. I always enjoyed listening to everyone else, especially the little ones that can barely talk.

So today, I'm sitting there like I usually do in Sacrament, when the floor is open for members to go up and share their testimonies. I can't explain it, but it just felt different today. I knew a half-hour into Sacrament that I would be one of those up there today. I tried to put it off as long as I could. I practiced what I wanted to share in my head and every time I got emotional. I told Lucas that if I went up in front of everyone, I knew that I would cry. I get very emotional at Fast and Testimony meetings.

So I am sitting there building up my courage when Avery turns to me and says, "Mommy can I try. Can I go up after him and try." I lost it. I knew that was my cue. Avery has never asked to go up before, so I knew that going up to help her would be my chance to get up myself.

It was like the Lord had planned it all along. He used my little 3 1/2 year old to get me up there, but I did it and I'm glad that I did!! Of course I did cry, but it felt good to finally get my first time under my belt. I'm always amazed at how little ones can go up with no problem, but it is the adults that have the issue with nerves.

In Relief Society today we talked about educating and how we learn by example. Well, I am glad that I had the opportunity to educate my kids and be an example. To teach them that it is a great thing to bear your testimony to friends and family. Even though it might be scary at times, it can be a tool to help your faith grow.

2 comments:

The Richards said...

That is beautiful Erica. I am so proud of you and so happy that you felt the spirit that strongly, what a great Sunday! You are amazing and a great example.

Annie Taylor said...

I think it very appropriate to blog on Sunday, because it is basically the same as journeling, right?
I really enjoyed this post and as I was reading it could really feel the Spirit-isn't it awesome how that works? Thanks for sharing, I didn't get to go to church today because of work and I was streangthened by this post. Take care. Annie