Monday, March 2, 2009

1st Hospitalization

Talk about the longest weekend ever. It is official, Erynn is now three weeks old and has already been hospitalized for the first time. Now my other kids have been to the ER a time or two, sometimes for being clumsy (Andie) or because of an ear infection (Avery). Neither of them however, have ever had to stay the night in the hospital.

Erynn had a really high fever Thursday night. I called the Answering Service and was told to give Tylenol and monitor her at home. Well, Friday morning her temp got up to 102.5. I called the clinic and made an appointment. Dr. Smith then had us go to the hospital for blood tests. When the results came in, we were then told to go to the hospital for further testing and possible admission. At the ER, Erynn was poked twice for an IV, had to have a spinal tap, chest x-rays, and was straight-cathed twice. It turned out she had a UTI, which is very rare in newborns.

We were in the hospital from Friday night, until this am. I am happy to report that she is doing so much better. No more fever. She is acting more like herself. The only downside is she was on so many antibiotics that now she has really bad diarrhea and a raw bum. We are so happy to be home. We are also so grateful for our family for their support and taking care of our older two girlies. We are also so thankful to our Home Teachers for coming to the hospital and giving Erynn a blessing. That night her fever was gone and never came back. Also, a thank you to our Bishop and Brother Green for checking in on us and to the Relief Society President and Visiting Teachers. It was so nice to know that they cared about my little girls and were willing to help whenever and wherever they could.

I am so happy to have Erynn back home and to be back home, although my house is trashed and I feel like I will be playing catch up for a while. Catch up on housekeeping and on sleep.

Oh and during all the craziness, we lost not one, but two fish. Patrick and Pearl were purchased to replace Jake not too long before Erynn was born. Well, Patrick lasted two weeks, so then Lucas went and bought a really pretty blue male fish I just called "The Blue Ninja". Well, he and Pearl appeared to be getting along well, but I noticed on Saturday that he too was belly up. I think Pearl might be a black widow. She has outlasted two "partners". I think that Pearl will be single from this point forward.

2 comments:

Mrs Salas said...

I am so sorry that you little baby had to be in the hospital....how comforting it is to be home once all that is over and done with.

I wish you all the best and prayers for you and the family!

The Richards said...

Wow talk about scary times....i am so glad she is better and glad you caught it fast! I hope you are feeling good and everything gets better! Call me if you need anything Amber