Thursday, January 1, 2009

Roller Coaster of Emotions

My sweet grandpa, Angel Tellez

On Tuesday morning I received a phone call from my sister that my grandfather got to Phoenix alright, but that he was in a coma, unresponsive, and that the doctors where waiting on family to get to the hospital so that they could extibate him. Here I am thinking, "This is it." I have to get to Phoenix to say good-bye to my sweet grandpa.


Upon arriving to the hospital, it appeared that my grandpa was actually coming around. He was more awake and trying to pull out the intubation tube. He was following commands like wiggling his fingers and holding up the number of fingers that the hospital staff was asking. At one point he actually signed "I Love You" with his hand to my little sister after she signed it to him first. This has always been my grandfathers way of saying good-bye to us after a visit. So the doctors decided to go ahead and send my grandfather in to surgery to have tubes placed in his head to remove blood and relieve some pressure. After surgery, we were back at square one.


When I left Phoenix yesterday, he was again sedated for comfort reasons and was being woken up every 2 hours for assessments. They were trying to get him to follow commands like he was the day before. Even though we could tell that he was trying hard to hold up two fingers and to wiggle his hands, it was not enough for the nursing staff. I was hoping to that he just needed more time, that once the meds from surgery completely wore off, he would be following commands again.


Grandpa Lito and Avery Halloween '06.



My grandpa wearing devil horns. Ironic considering his name is Angel.


Andie, Avery, and Grandpa Lito.


Today, my sister says that he is worse. He is not really seeing things when he is waken for assessments. The new plan is to extibate on Monday, turn everything off and see how he does. I know that the end is near. I know in my heart that he would be better off once all of this is over. My grandfather did not want any of this. It is just really hard for me to not be selfish. I am very close to my grandmother and grandfather. They practically raised me. I am so grateful that my Andie and Avery had the chance to know my grandpa, but so sad that my newest little baby may not have that chance. She will be missing out on knowing a wonderfully loving and caring great-grandpa.

I am feeling so overwhelmed right now, with school about to start again and the baby literally just weeks from delivery. I am so grateful to all of you that have shared your thoughts, prayers, and best wishes with me and my family.

3 comments:

Bell Family said...

Hang in there sweetie, we really are praying that the best comes from this for you guys. I think it is wonderful that you made the trip to Phoenix to spend some time with him. It is a blessing that your girls know him and love him, so regardless he will live on through them. I know what you are going through and if there is anything we can do please just let me know.

That was a beautiful post with such great pictures of him!

Take care hun!

Mrs Salas said...

Erica, I am deeply Sorry and Sadden about this whole thing that is happening in your life right now with your grandfather. I totally know where you are coming from. There are words that can be said, but I am never the one to be able to say then, because tears usually grip me. But what I will offer to you are my prayers for comfort and peace to you and your family.On another note I can't wait to see pictures of the new baby...everything will be according to God's plan. Stay strong.

The Richards said...

Erica i am so sorry for the hard times, it is like the same exact thing that happened with my grandma black and she was 91 also. It is always hard to lose someone, to watch them fly away and think why are we doing this? But i am so thankful for my last conversation with her when they said the surgery was necessary and i was thinking she is 91 no its not. Anyways what i am saying is that i totally understand those emotions you want them to stay because you will miss them so much but you know it is their time. I feel for you and I pray that our Heavenly FAther is with you and you will feel his loving arms around you. Let me know if their is anything i can do for you, i used to sing for funerals for people that couldnt afford to pay, i am not amazing but o.k. 965-5736 call me really! Love ya Amber